Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Convent

This weekend I hung out at the St. Gabriel's guest house run by the Little Sisters of the Poor (I would point to an out of date website, but why bother) in Catonsville, MD. It was a retreat that I was on the waiting list and then a few days before the retreat, I got a call saying I was in. So it didn't give me a lot of time to make arrangements, but I am thankful to Elizabeth and Bruce for getting me to and from the remote area.
I really didn't know what to expect from the retreat as I've never been on one. Never as a Baptist, and this is my 1st as an Anglican. My biggest fear was that it was a silent retreat meaning no talking and I didn't know how well I would handle that. It wasn't that bad. The only out of order words I said were "Huh?!" when I and Sister Catherine were trying to get my non-functioning radiator working. And on the last day I told myself to "Get up" and I uttered something else to myself that I have now forgotten. There was speech, but only in the prayers and we prayed 6 times+ a day with the nuns of the All Saints convent. When I got back to DC I found myself slightly missing some of the prayers, particularly compline. As one night we prayed something about dreams, and it all went well with preparing to go to sleep.
During the day I wandered the grounds. I mean a way to appreciate the little warmth of the room is to go out into the cold woods and return to something warmer. It was lovely out there. Peaceful, minus the planes from BWI. Saw some deer and some interesting birds.
So do I want to become a nun? Seriously, I don't hear G'd calling me to join a religious order. I can see what the attraction is, a loving community, the daily devotion to Our Lord, righteous work and a general well being.
Will I go again? Yes, but when the weather is better.

No comments: