Friday, May 20, 2005

Train wreck that is the Episcopal Church USA

Over pre-theater dinner Bruce and I were talking about the church that we both love dearly and all that is going on. We also talked about it like a train wreck about to happen.
Supposing the train did wreck, what is plan B? My plan B is to go over to the Holy Roman Catholic Church. His plan B is no surprise, the Orthodox Catholic Church.
Keeping with the train analogy, I pondered, as good Christians, shouldn't we stick around for the aftermath to help the victims of the wreck? And we also chatted about how the heck we wound up on the Episcopal Choo-choo in the first place. Bruce mentioned the sherry in the dining car. Yes, the dining car is pretty darned good. Oh, and the people on the train, every passenger is delightful in his or her way. But Bruce said, the food on the Orthodox train is pretty good too. There are no seats on the Orthodox train, I snapped. My other problem with the Orthodox train is that it is not as global as the Episcopal choo-choo. The Anglican Express stops in India, Nigeria, the UK and Mexico. I'm not sure where the Orthodox rail goes.
I mentioned the train analogy to Rev. K at our talk tonight and he said that the train is already decoupling. But he does not see a wreck.
No matter where this train goes, I'm going to hold on and brace myself until the train does hit the brick wall of schism.

No comments: