Tuesday, October 17, 2006

From this week's reading

Mark 10:17-23
As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honour your father and mother.” ’ He said to him, ‘Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.’ Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money* to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

...and no one to help him pack it all.

If I ran into our Lord the Christ and he said Mari sell everything you own and follow me. Sadly I'd probably grieve too because I've been trying to pack all the crap I have in the basement to give to charity, but it just ain't happening. I have a small corner devoted to stuff that needs to go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. There is more stuff in the house that I plan to give away later but it's so friggin heavy and unweildy.
Where did all this come from? Okay 1/2 from IKEA. When I left my parents' house I had 1 suitcase. When I moved out of my apartment at UF it took 2 trips in the Volvo station wagon to move it all. When I moved from the Logan Circle apartment, that was about several trips in a pickup truck to go 1/2 a mile. About 1/2 of what I own, I don't need, so why do I have it? How do I get rid of it?

No comments: